Skip to main content

35. Above the Milky Way

"I haven't written a poem in a while, and I've been spending my whole week volunteering at a Horse Camp, waking up at 7 and going to the barn, going for a ride after all the kids leave in the late afternoon and coming home at 6 in the evening. Too much time with horses for me ;P End of story. I am so tired, this is not the greatest poem I've ever written, it's actually one of the worst because I didn't edit it. Enjoy nonetheless :)"

July 17, 2009- Olga Taratuta

The answer is no, I am not a horse lover
I am not over obsessive about braiding one’s mane
I would not care less about the lead I am on
I do not supremely secure one’s rein

I do not hoard my allowance for flashy tack
I do not buy carrot sticks for horse consumption
I do not treat them as if they were celestial beings
It was only one person’s assumption

I may not be a horse lover
I may not kiss hoofed creatures on the nose
I naturally harmonize with the kindly beasts
They dismantle my heart’s thorns from its rose

Stampedes of hooves beat the green hills
As those tamed stallions come thundering past
Glare into one’s pupil for merely one second
The world will seem tranquil and vast

Vaulting on one’s back and sitting still
Feels like settling on the Milky Way
Its balmy blood travelling through its veins
Composing my soul to light red from daft grey

No, I am not a horse lover
I keep luscious Granny Smith apples at home
But if those merciful giants were not by my side
I could not live through life on my own

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Pretend

We pretend that we'll live forever That tomorrow will bring something better We pretend we're not made of stars As we roam the streets and bars We pretend we'll never die That our kids won't ever cry Over the loss that is our end Every student, teacher, friend Everyone we've ever known Has a constellation they call home When the moon comes out at night I look to them to see the light To all those who did pretend That their story would never end But on some nights, breezy and clear I see the stars and they feel near I can grasp one and hold it in my hand As it takes me to another land We pretend this earth is all there is to see Yet the stars and crickets have spoken to me We pretend we'll never die Because we truly won't To someone's eye

Miles Away

I refuse to sell my heart, not for twenty-five cents The auction is closed, ladies and gents I’ve already sold my eyes, when they caught sight of the streets So now everyone can see the beauty of my Italian retreat I sold my tongue for gelato, feeling so young Letting the wild berries dance around on my tongue I sold my feet when I traveled to see our Holy Mother in gold Like a saint on a mission, I’ll walk until I get old I sold my ears when I heard beautiful Aida open her lips Echoing through the theatre in which the ancients used to sit But I won’t sell my heart, it is still free For my heart belongs to God and not really to me My heart aches for home, too many miles away Yet for now I am here and I will live for today Yes, I sold my eyes to Italy; it’s all I can see How I wish you were here seeing these treasures with me I’ll try to buy back my sight, taste, and ears too So that I’ll be able to share these memories with you

Why I Think Iron Man is a Jerk

I'm not usually intrigued by superhero action movies, but since I work at the cinema, I can't resist seeing some blockbuster action flicks from time to time, the newest one being Iron Man 3. Although the movies are based on comic books, I still like to do a literary overanalysis of the characters, their flaws, and the hidden messages that they're portraying about our society. Popular media defines society as it is in the moment. For example, back in the post-war days, literature was depressing and scrutinized the advance of the Industrial Revolution and lack of individualism (take into account Virginia Woolf or Sylvia Plath). Now, our society seems to hail the cynical hero- the one who makes snippy remarks, has low moral standards, and consumes himself with one-night stands- the jerk. The greatest example of the cynical jerk superhero is Iron Man. The newest Iron Man movie had a simple, predictable plot line (nerd wants revenge, things get blown up, pretty girl, nerd b...