Skip to main content

29. White Horses

This poem has deep meaning to it, but it is not direct, so just interpret it however you'd like :) My point of the poem was: White horses represent Love, which basically rules over everything. The woman in the poem is an angel, but since she has not fulfilled her share of love, she falls to the ground as a mortal, seeing how Earth is quite a pitiful place at times. Using the Chain of Being concept, it's rearranged so that Love is the King, followed by angels, animals, mortals, the Earth itself, and hatred. But if that's too confusing, just read and enjoy ;)

February 16, 2009- Olga Taratuta

Clouds, as silky as a kitten’s coat
As broiling as the cackling log fireplace
Meandering on clouds
Such a remarkable feeling
Eagles spreading their wings below her
The starry universe illuminated above her
Flawless white horses, galloping to and fro
Bold tails lashing and piercing
The clouds oh-so delicate below
Pelting their hooves
Heaven is quaking
Universe out of control
The full, round moon shimmering
Behind the white horses’ glow
Gracious to admire
Barbaric at the heart
The clouds split apart
She falls to the ground
To the asphalt and scrap
White beasts have made their point
They dominate the heavens
Control the blue sky
When they cry, rain dampens the Earth
And when a white horse stampede comes along
Thunder clashes the ground, oh-so sly
We are all angels
Slit by the clouds
White horses so very divine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Pretend

We pretend that we'll live forever That tomorrow will bring something better We pretend we're not made of stars As we roam the streets and bars We pretend we'll never die That our kids won't ever cry Over the loss that is our end Every student, teacher, friend Everyone we've ever known Has a constellation they call home When the moon comes out at night I look to them to see the light To all those who did pretend That their story would never end But on some nights, breezy and clear I see the stars and they feel near I can grasp one and hold it in my hand As it takes me to another land We pretend this earth is all there is to see Yet the stars and crickets have spoken to me We pretend we'll never die Because we truly won't To someone's eye

Miles Away

I refuse to sell my heart, not for twenty-five cents The auction is closed, ladies and gents I’ve already sold my eyes, when they caught sight of the streets So now everyone can see the beauty of my Italian retreat I sold my tongue for gelato, feeling so young Letting the wild berries dance around on my tongue I sold my feet when I traveled to see our Holy Mother in gold Like a saint on a mission, I’ll walk until I get old I sold my ears when I heard beautiful Aida open her lips Echoing through the theatre in which the ancients used to sit But I won’t sell my heart, it is still free For my heart belongs to God and not really to me My heart aches for home, too many miles away Yet for now I am here and I will live for today Yes, I sold my eyes to Italy; it’s all I can see How I wish you were here seeing these treasures with me I’ll try to buy back my sight, taste, and ears too So that I’ll be able to share these memories with you

Why I Think Iron Man is a Jerk

I'm not usually intrigued by superhero action movies, but since I work at the cinema, I can't resist seeing some blockbuster action flicks from time to time, the newest one being Iron Man 3. Although the movies are based on comic books, I still like to do a literary overanalysis of the characters, their flaws, and the hidden messages that they're portraying about our society. Popular media defines society as it is in the moment. For example, back in the post-war days, literature was depressing and scrutinized the advance of the Industrial Revolution and lack of individualism (take into account Virginia Woolf or Sylvia Plath). Now, our society seems to hail the cynical hero- the one who makes snippy remarks, has low moral standards, and consumes himself with one-night stands- the jerk. The greatest example of the cynical jerk superhero is Iron Man. The newest Iron Man movie had a simple, predictable plot line (nerd wants revenge, things get blown up, pretty girl, nerd b...