Skip to main content

13. The Call of the Wild

Poor Rocky, my cat that I've owned for 6 years decided to run away :(

May 2008- Olga Taratuta

Rocky, no last name. Orange tabby, swirls of peach smoothie lining his fur coat. Plump and irritating, a painstake of my life, soon to become my lost companion, my one and only domestic pet, the cat.
Rocky went through a sort of metamorphosis a few days back. From amicable to atrocious, from tame to wild. Wild as oven roasted rice freshly brewed by natives.
He left behind his food, his toys, his owner, his fellowship. He alienated into a wild cat, vaulted off the balcony with no hesitation, just a couple warming sprints back and forth on the concrete. It couldn't have been anything else but a call of the wild, a call of the wild in which he will belittle to pulp under BMW tires off of Major Mac.
If he's lucky.
Gone for days now. I don't think I'll ever see him again. It's quite dismal...healthy, wholesome Rocky, a flimsy alley cat bustling in between garbage cans, defining fish bones as banquet.
If he's clever he'll come home.
If he's dimwitted he'll lick his paws on the intersection.
If the call of the wild is almighty, he'll escape into foreign fields, and never ever return to the captivity of familial.
There will be no bond between human and cat, only cat and moon.
No silent treaty among cat and human, only cat and earth.
All the luck to you,
Rocky Supertramp.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Pretend

We pretend that we'll live forever That tomorrow will bring something better We pretend we're not made of stars As we roam the streets and bars We pretend we'll never die That our kids won't ever cry Over the loss that is our end Every student, teacher, friend Everyone we've ever known Has a constellation they call home When the moon comes out at night I look to them to see the light To all those who did pretend That their story would never end But on some nights, breezy and clear I see the stars and they feel near I can grasp one and hold it in my hand As it takes me to another land We pretend this earth is all there is to see Yet the stars and crickets have spoken to me We pretend we'll never die Because we truly won't To someone's eye

Miles Away

I refuse to sell my heart, not for twenty-five cents The auction is closed, ladies and gents I’ve already sold my eyes, when they caught sight of the streets So now everyone can see the beauty of my Italian retreat I sold my tongue for gelato, feeling so young Letting the wild berries dance around on my tongue I sold my feet when I traveled to see our Holy Mother in gold Like a saint on a mission, I’ll walk until I get old I sold my ears when I heard beautiful Aida open her lips Echoing through the theatre in which the ancients used to sit But I won’t sell my heart, it is still free For my heart belongs to God and not really to me My heart aches for home, too many miles away Yet for now I am here and I will live for today Yes, I sold my eyes to Italy; it’s all I can see How I wish you were here seeing these treasures with me I’ll try to buy back my sight, taste, and ears too So that I’ll be able to share these memories with you

Why I Think Iron Man is a Jerk

I'm not usually intrigued by superhero action movies, but since I work at the cinema, I can't resist seeing some blockbuster action flicks from time to time, the newest one being Iron Man 3. Although the movies are based on comic books, I still like to do a literary overanalysis of the characters, their flaws, and the hidden messages that they're portraying about our society. Popular media defines society as it is in the moment. For example, back in the post-war days, literature was depressing and scrutinized the advance of the Industrial Revolution and lack of individualism (take into account Virginia Woolf or Sylvia Plath). Now, our society seems to hail the cynical hero- the one who makes snippy remarks, has low moral standards, and consumes himself with one-night stands- the jerk. The greatest example of the cynical jerk superhero is Iron Man. The newest Iron Man movie had a simple, predictable plot line (nerd wants revenge, things get blown up, pretty girl, nerd b...