Skip to main content

32. Failure

Haha, good old times. I got kicked out of running for student council because I missed one stupid meeting. Oh well, shit happens. This was sort of hard to get over, though... So I wrote a complaint letter to the principal- WOW- idiot move of me. Unforgettable though.

May 27, 2009- Olga Taratuta

Failure is the predator, I am the prey
Why does nothing ever go my way?

I have learned, long ago, that life is unfair
Cannot the bad luck travel elsewhere?

I try my best; and I’m shoved to the floor
What is the point of trying anymore?

Yet when I tumble hard on my face
I brush off my knees and stand up in grace

I am not a loser! I deserve the first prize
Then why are there glossy tears in my eyes?

I am enraged, injustice is hard to accept
Yet their cold hearts are draft and inept

I try to be novel, I try to be brave
But opposing the principal sent me to the grave

What did I accomplish for standing up for myself?
Is there anything I gained from rebelling against authority itself?

I am not running for student council, I have to breathe that in
I tried everything I could but there’s bricks where their hearts should’ve been

Yet she is standing there with a honeyed big grin
When there’s eruption gnawing my nerves and steaming out of my skin

They tell me to take it easy, I can try next year
Even though they hate me now, they’ve made it very clear

The evil side has won, that’s not how it’s supposed to be
This loathsome inequity keeps on trailing me

I tried and I failed, I am a castaway and mess
But without failure, there would be no thing as success

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Pretend

We pretend that we'll live forever That tomorrow will bring something better We pretend we're not made of stars As we roam the streets and bars We pretend we'll never die That our kids won't ever cry Over the loss that is our end Every student, teacher, friend Everyone we've ever known Has a constellation they call home When the moon comes out at night I look to them to see the light To all those who did pretend That their story would never end But on some nights, breezy and clear I see the stars and they feel near I can grasp one and hold it in my hand As it takes me to another land We pretend this earth is all there is to see Yet the stars and crickets have spoken to me We pretend we'll never die Because we truly won't To someone's eye

Miles Away

I refuse to sell my heart, not for twenty-five cents The auction is closed, ladies and gents I’ve already sold my eyes, when they caught sight of the streets So now everyone can see the beauty of my Italian retreat I sold my tongue for gelato, feeling so young Letting the wild berries dance around on my tongue I sold my feet when I traveled to see our Holy Mother in gold Like a saint on a mission, I’ll walk until I get old I sold my ears when I heard beautiful Aida open her lips Echoing through the theatre in which the ancients used to sit But I won’t sell my heart, it is still free For my heart belongs to God and not really to me My heart aches for home, too many miles away Yet for now I am here and I will live for today Yes, I sold my eyes to Italy; it’s all I can see How I wish you were here seeing these treasures with me I’ll try to buy back my sight, taste, and ears too So that I’ll be able to share these memories with you

Why I Think Iron Man is a Jerk

I'm not usually intrigued by superhero action movies, but since I work at the cinema, I can't resist seeing some blockbuster action flicks from time to time, the newest one being Iron Man 3. Although the movies are based on comic books, I still like to do a literary overanalysis of the characters, their flaws, and the hidden messages that they're portraying about our society. Popular media defines society as it is in the moment. For example, back in the post-war days, literature was depressing and scrutinized the advance of the Industrial Revolution and lack of individualism (take into account Virginia Woolf or Sylvia Plath). Now, our society seems to hail the cynical hero- the one who makes snippy remarks, has low moral standards, and consumes himself with one-night stands- the jerk. The greatest example of the cynical jerk superhero is Iron Man. The newest Iron Man movie had a simple, predictable plot line (nerd wants revenge, things get blown up, pretty girl, nerd b...