Skip to main content

17. Beautiful Life

Aftermath of my parents' divorce.

October 25, 2008- Olga Taratuta

I used to have a house, my dad, a lawn, a cat
I had a basement where we could hang out and chat

I had 1000 TV channels and MTV
But there was something wrong, something the outside eye couldn't see

Cause what's the point of me being rich money-wise
When I hid in the closet to block out my parents' raging cries

Now it's all gone, and I'm not ashamed to say
Living with my mom, I come home to an apartment every day

Two bedrooms, and one washroom, what else could I ask for?
But sometimes I get this feeling; I want more, more, more

It's easy to feel poor, when everyone around
Live in 2 garage mansions, and need a lost and found

It's easy to get down, and feel all bruised and blue
When I go over to a friend's house, and I can't even find the loo

But hey, I'm still smiling, because I know
Life won't always be like this, I'll continue to grow

Though I'm not the richest person, at least I feel all right
And I don't have to stay up in bed listening to my parents pick a fight

Cause If I put my mind to it, and have goals, and dreams, and hope
I'll be the biggest success; I'll have no need to mope

Even though I sometimes fail, I try my very best at school
I remember what's important to me; I don't care about what’s 'cool'

I'll shine, I'll peak, I'll be rich, you'll see
Yes, I've got a beautiful life ahead of me

The past is foggy, but the future is pure
I've got a beautiful life in store for me, of that I'm sure

Having 30 channels, doesn't seem half bad
Going to the Laundromat doesn't drive me mad

Cause I am strong, and my dreams will lead the way
And dreams cannot be bought, even with a millions' worth of pay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Pretend

We pretend that we'll live forever That tomorrow will bring something better We pretend we're not made of stars As we roam the streets and bars We pretend we'll never die That our kids won't ever cry Over the loss that is our end Every student, teacher, friend Everyone we've ever known Has a constellation they call home When the moon comes out at night I look to them to see the light To all those who did pretend That their story would never end But on some nights, breezy and clear I see the stars and they feel near I can grasp one and hold it in my hand As it takes me to another land We pretend this earth is all there is to see Yet the stars and crickets have spoken to me We pretend we'll never die Because we truly won't To someone's eye

Miles Away

I refuse to sell my heart, not for twenty-five cents The auction is closed, ladies and gents I’ve already sold my eyes, when they caught sight of the streets So now everyone can see the beauty of my Italian retreat I sold my tongue for gelato, feeling so young Letting the wild berries dance around on my tongue I sold my feet when I traveled to see our Holy Mother in gold Like a saint on a mission, I’ll walk until I get old I sold my ears when I heard beautiful Aida open her lips Echoing through the theatre in which the ancients used to sit But I won’t sell my heart, it is still free For my heart belongs to God and not really to me My heart aches for home, too many miles away Yet for now I am here and I will live for today Yes, I sold my eyes to Italy; it’s all I can see How I wish you were here seeing these treasures with me I’ll try to buy back my sight, taste, and ears too So that I’ll be able to share these memories with you

Why I Think Iron Man is a Jerk

I'm not usually intrigued by superhero action movies, but since I work at the cinema, I can't resist seeing some blockbuster action flicks from time to time, the newest one being Iron Man 3. Although the movies are based on comic books, I still like to do a literary overanalysis of the characters, their flaws, and the hidden messages that they're portraying about our society. Popular media defines society as it is in the moment. For example, back in the post-war days, literature was depressing and scrutinized the advance of the Industrial Revolution and lack of individualism (take into account Virginia Woolf or Sylvia Plath). Now, our society seems to hail the cynical hero- the one who makes snippy remarks, has low moral standards, and consumes himself with one-night stands- the jerk. The greatest example of the cynical jerk superhero is Iron Man. The newest Iron Man movie had a simple, predictable plot line (nerd wants revenge, things get blown up, pretty girl, nerd b...