Skip to main content

24. Shark Fin Soup

Inspiration: Geography class :) Have you ever heard of shark fin soup? I have, and I've tried it before, and I must admit it's quite tasty. But, after learning how it's MADE, I feel very bad for eating it : In the Pacific, surrounding Taiwan and China, fishers hunt for sharks. They don't just kill the poor things, no...they SLAUGHTER them. They hook them on a line or net, drag them to the surface, cut the poor thing's fins off, and release the finless shark into the water to drown. Bastards! My guilt is extreme. Well, almost as extreme as this screwed up poem.

December 24, 2008- Olga Taratuta

Born in the Pacific
Off the coast of Taiwan
I'm just a guiltless gulper shark
I haven't done anything wrong

I'm simply touring the ocean
Prying tuna when I feel my belly grumble
When fatigued, I doze in a local cove
I am mellow and quite humble

I'll never forget my very first love
With a stunning shark, so divine
We swam the ocean, side by side
Among vast reefs, she is mine

The eggs hatched a few months ago
I love all of them; all twenty-five
My gills inhale the sweet, pure water
I'm just so glad to be alive

As I am snoozing, a net is cast over my head
I am in agony; my fins are gone!
Evil men have stolen my pride
Blood stains the blue water, clear as dawn

I cannot swim, I cannot think
I'm drowning; my senses droop
I am begging you, don't end my life
For a bowl of shark fin soup

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Pretend

We pretend that we'll live forever That tomorrow will bring something better We pretend we're not made of stars As we roam the streets and bars We pretend we'll never die That our kids won't ever cry Over the loss that is our end Every student, teacher, friend Everyone we've ever known Has a constellation they call home When the moon comes out at night I look to them to see the light To all those who did pretend That their story would never end But on some nights, breezy and clear I see the stars and they feel near I can grasp one and hold it in my hand As it takes me to another land We pretend this earth is all there is to see Yet the stars and crickets have spoken to me We pretend we'll never die Because we truly won't To someone's eye

Miles Away

I refuse to sell my heart, not for twenty-five cents The auction is closed, ladies and gents I’ve already sold my eyes, when they caught sight of the streets So now everyone can see the beauty of my Italian retreat I sold my tongue for gelato, feeling so young Letting the wild berries dance around on my tongue I sold my feet when I traveled to see our Holy Mother in gold Like a saint on a mission, I’ll walk until I get old I sold my ears when I heard beautiful Aida open her lips Echoing through the theatre in which the ancients used to sit But I won’t sell my heart, it is still free For my heart belongs to God and not really to me My heart aches for home, too many miles away Yet for now I am here and I will live for today Yes, I sold my eyes to Italy; it’s all I can see How I wish you were here seeing these treasures with me I’ll try to buy back my sight, taste, and ears too So that I’ll be able to share these memories with you

Why I Think Iron Man is a Jerk

I'm not usually intrigued by superhero action movies, but since I work at the cinema, I can't resist seeing some blockbuster action flicks from time to time, the newest one being Iron Man 3. Although the movies are based on comic books, I still like to do a literary overanalysis of the characters, their flaws, and the hidden messages that they're portraying about our society. Popular media defines society as it is in the moment. For example, back in the post-war days, literature was depressing and scrutinized the advance of the Industrial Revolution and lack of individualism (take into account Virginia Woolf or Sylvia Plath). Now, our society seems to hail the cynical hero- the one who makes snippy remarks, has low moral standards, and consumes himself with one-night stands- the jerk. The greatest example of the cynical jerk superhero is Iron Man. The newest Iron Man movie had a simple, predictable plot line (nerd wants revenge, things get blown up, pretty girl, nerd b...