Skip to main content

Everyday is a Senseless Day of Love

Well, it's that time of the year again. The snow is a distasteful blend of wet rain and melancholy. It's February. It's Valentine's Day. Sorry for sounding so miserable, but I've had a rough... life and I'm not ready to be bombarded by pink hearts and teddy bears and couples seated all around this damn cafeteria (and I'm here slurping my carrot orange juice yum). What is the point of this day, anyway. It's all about the consumerism. Think about Christmas- Santa Claus and presents. And what about Easter? That's all about bunnies and eggs of course. The first words that should come into mind are Jesus Christ but our capitalist society has moulded us into this consumer way of thinking. Valentine's Day? Chocolate hearts and red roses (so original). Today just gives us an excuse to wear an irritable amount of pink clothing and stupidly confess our "love" to crushes. We should show love to each other everyday. Seriously. And "love" is not whipping your hair around trying to impress that boy in your English class.

Again I begin to dwell on the definition of love. In my previous blog post about love (http://www.olgapoetrytree.blogspot.ca/2013/01/on-origin-of-love.html) I said that love was finding your other half, discovering the person with idealistic qualities. I disagree with myself now. The sad fact is that

love doesn't make sense.

So trying to label it, define it, confine it into a little box and put it on a cargo ship filled with other ambiguous terms (Peace, Freedom, Equality) doesn't make much sense either. Sure, we can have our secret desires (I want a man who is 7 feet tall and has the body of a God) and our inexcusable turnoffs (smoking, bad breath, over drinking) but when we look into the eyes of the person we love, we sacrifice some of our rooted beliefs. Think about it: if you change yourself to please your lover (as is so often the case) you're changing your human essence to appeal to a single person. Does this make much sense? Not at all. What if you don't want to sacrifice a single thing for the person you love? I think that you will be infinitely unhappy because nobody, I assure you,

nobody makes a perfect lover.

The oh so popular saying is true- nobody is perfect. Having unrealistic expectations will leave you feeling down. And drinking carrot juice by yourself on Valentine's Day. I look around at all these couples around me. A man in a freshly pressed suit and tie, big round glasses, sitting across a woman who is gazing at him with a semi-curious half-interest in what he's saying. She nods at him. He grins. Is this what love looks like? How about the couple right across from me. The woman eating a quaint salad, the man chewing on a shish kabob. Two Strawberry Blonde smoothies between them. Their toes touching. Then on the outskirts of this romantic oasis are the single people, the boy with a book in his hand, the girl watching what seems like some sort of Korean drama, the janitor resting, the girl leafing through Advanced Calculus. Do they know what love looks like?

Love doesn't look like anything. Unless it's in a box with its friend Peace. It's a lifeless mass without form, without much meaning in itself, without a label, without a unanimous definition. It seems to be without sense. Yet it is exactly this thing that we all seek- a thing that is completely senseless. I can't imagine of a single person who wouldn't want to be loved. It's an intrinsic human need and the most powerful human emotion. The Taj Mahal was built for love, for God's sake. Strawberry Blonde smoothies are shared in the name of love. We listen to bland office stories because we love the person who is saying them. We give love, spread love, make love, cherish love. 

And we do it every damn day. Not just on February the fourteenth.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women: Living Contradictions

What does society want? For women to achieve impossible standards (and, by the way, it is NOT possible to achieve something that is impossible). Society wants us to be living contradictions...cabbage heads on stilts... airhead rocket scientists. Society wants us to be things that don't even exist in fiction, but only in the glossy pages of a Cosmopolitan magazine (look at me! I'm so skinny! So happy! Sexy all the time!). As I heard said many times before, "even Victoria's Secret models don't look like Victoria's Secret models." The way the proportions are warped, each pimple bleached, each hair trimmed down to pre-pubescence, toes and fingers without a scar, and the face angelic and so happy... it makes me sick. It makes me sick because of the contradictions, because women are expected to: Be sexy but not slutty Be innocent but not prude Be virgins but also fantastic lovers Be independent but submissive Be good mothers but maintain careers Be

Perfection is a Myth

For as long as I can remember, I've had the same unachievable goal, which I believed to be my life's purpose: to achieve perfection. I wanted to be a straight A student, an idol for the younger generation, the prettiest girl on the block, the girl with the perfect boyfriend, the perfect balance of everything that is wonderful and exquisite. Little did I realize that perfection is just a myth, like Big Foot or the cookie monster. I now type this blog post, feeling both shock and excitement, about my new found discovery- that the thing I've been trying so hard to attain all these years does not exist. It's a big pill to swallow, but hopefully a glass full of water and reality will ease the pain. The biggest problem with trying to be perfect is having the constant feeling of guilt and failure. Since perfection is an illusion, I'm chasing after nothing. I feel guilty for not being perfect and, by this definition, I'm a failure because I'm not perfect. This sou

Why I Think Iron Man is a Jerk

I'm not usually intrigued by superhero action movies, but since I work at the cinema, I can't resist seeing some blockbuster action flicks from time to time, the newest one being Iron Man 3. Although the movies are based on comic books, I still like to do a literary overanalysis of the characters, their flaws, and the hidden messages that they're portraying about our society. Popular media defines society as it is in the moment. For example, back in the post-war days, literature was depressing and scrutinized the advance of the Industrial Revolution and lack of individualism (take into account Virginia Woolf or Sylvia Plath). Now, our society seems to hail the cynical hero- the one who makes snippy remarks, has low moral standards, and consumes himself with one-night stands- the jerk. The greatest example of the cynical jerk superhero is Iron Man. The newest Iron Man movie had a simple, predictable plot line (nerd wants revenge, things get blown up, pretty girl, nerd b