Skip to main content

Winter Blues

It's a most paradoxical season

Of candy cane lane and seasonal depression

Some call it the winter blues

When the days are short and often cloudy

And the nights are frigid and black

People forget how to drive

And your socks are always wet

There's an aura of chaos and mayhem

At the local shopping mall

Santa Claus grumbling behind his beard, overworked

While people shop for things, stuff, and gizmos

Will he appreciate the stand mixer (50 percent off)?

Will she like the stainless steel bracelet?

Will they be happy to see a Barbie dreamhouse

Under the Walmart Christmas tree?

It's hard to think, with all that noise

That's part of the reason for winter blues

When my skin is dry and scaly

And my ears are constantly cold

My body always too chilled or too hot

Everyone sneezing around me

But, it's beautiful too

The snowflakes catching on my coat

As we ice skate under the stars

Time stopping still

'Cause the only cure for winter blues

Is a steaming cup of cocoa

And good company 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Women: Living Contradictions

What does society want? For women to achieve impossible standards (and, by the way, it is NOT possible to achieve something that is impossible). Society wants us to be living contradictions...cabbage heads on stilts... airhead rocket scientists. Society wants us to be things that don't even exist in fiction, but only in the glossy pages of a Cosmopolitan magazine (look at me! I'm so skinny! So happy! Sexy all the time!). As I heard said many times before, "even Victoria's Secret models don't look like Victoria's Secret models." The way the proportions are warped, each pimple bleached, each hair trimmed down to pre-pubescence, toes and fingers without a scar, and the face angelic and so happy... it makes me sick. It makes me sick because of the contradictions, because women are expected to: Be sexy but not slutty Be innocent but not prude Be virgins but also fantastic lovers Be independent but submissive Be good mothers but maintain careers Be

It Came In the Night

It came in the night I was sound asleep When a flash awoke me From the land of sheep I went downstairs Opened the back door My cat rushed in And crouched on the floor There I saw The object of his fear A huge space ship On a new frontier I rubbed my eyes And pinched my skin But the UFO was there When I opened my eyes again Then I heard some munching From the kitchen door So I took a peek And there rustling through my drawers... Was a whole family of  What I can only describe As long limbed martians A four-alien tribe Their skin was blue Eyes big and black They slurped and munched As they made a snack On the table were Stacks of toast Bacon, cheddar, And rib eye roast Excuse me m'am The father asked Could you do for me A little task? Could you fetch me A glass of milk Made by the udders Of a zoptolirk? I said that instead I have milk from oats And from jersey cows And free range goats I don't know any  Of those beasts The alien said Head down in defeat They ate their meal In a f