Skip to main content

37. Never Judge A Stallion By The Sparkle in His Coat

I wrote this poem after uh, breaking up with someone. I was pretty angry, so I let it all flow out in a horse-based poem. Never judge a book by a cover, my friends.

August 30, 2009

“Now which horse shall you be riding today, madam?”
Asked the King, I responded with a grin
Two loyal steeds stood in front of me
The decision was obvious as sin

On one end of the field was a sparkling stallion
Not too skinny and not one bit stout
A flailing mane that ruffled with the wind
As he perfectly trotted about

Parallel to this magnificent beast
There stood an excuse for a horse, sloppily grazing
His ribs almost ripped through his dull grey skin
The fact that the King kept this mule was amazing

So I mounted the beautiful stallion
For one second I felt like a princess
Until that cruel demon snorted and bucked
And I was soon on the ground in distress

A horseshoe print on my stomach
And an experience too frightening to relive
Was all I gained for riding that cruel creature
One whom I will never forgive

Some time has passed since that day
I am certain that my wounds have healed
But I still enjoy riding my shabby grey mule
Through the roses in the wide open field

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Pretend

We pretend that we'll live forever That tomorrow will bring something better We pretend we're not made of stars As we roam the streets and bars We pretend we'll never die That our kids won't ever cry Over the loss that is our end Every student, teacher, friend Everyone we've ever known Has a constellation they call home When the moon comes out at night I look to them to see the light To all those who did pretend That their story would never end But on some nights, breezy and clear I see the stars and they feel near I can grasp one and hold it in my hand As it takes me to another land We pretend this earth is all there is to see Yet the stars and crickets have spoken to me We pretend we'll never die Because we truly won't To someone's eye

Miles Away

I refuse to sell my heart, not for twenty-five cents The auction is closed, ladies and gents I’ve already sold my eyes, when they caught sight of the streets So now everyone can see the beauty of my Italian retreat I sold my tongue for gelato, feeling so young Letting the wild berries dance around on my tongue I sold my feet when I traveled to see our Holy Mother in gold Like a saint on a mission, I’ll walk until I get old I sold my ears when I heard beautiful Aida open her lips Echoing through the theatre in which the ancients used to sit But I won’t sell my heart, it is still free For my heart belongs to God and not really to me My heart aches for home, too many miles away Yet for now I am here and I will live for today Yes, I sold my eyes to Italy; it’s all I can see How I wish you were here seeing these treasures with me I’ll try to buy back my sight, taste, and ears too So that I’ll be able to share these memories with you

Why I Think Iron Man is a Jerk

I'm not usually intrigued by superhero action movies, but since I work at the cinema, I can't resist seeing some blockbuster action flicks from time to time, the newest one being Iron Man 3. Although the movies are based on comic books, I still like to do a literary overanalysis of the characters, their flaws, and the hidden messages that they're portraying about our society. Popular media defines society as it is in the moment. For example, back in the post-war days, literature was depressing and scrutinized the advance of the Industrial Revolution and lack of individualism (take into account Virginia Woolf or Sylvia Plath). Now, our society seems to hail the cynical hero- the one who makes snippy remarks, has low moral standards, and consumes himself with one-night stands- the jerk. The greatest example of the cynical jerk superhero is Iron Man. The newest Iron Man movie had a simple, predictable plot line (nerd wants revenge, things get blown up, pretty girl, nerd b...