Skip to main content

Push On

What do you do when everything you have been working for
For let's say, the good past eight years
Goes up, up, up
To reach a climax
The tip of the rollercoaster
The momentum
The adrenaline
That goes down, down, down and around
In grooves and loops and exciting angles
What happens when that climax
Never comes?
And you're left there, facing upwards, in a halt
Simply trying to not fall back down to where you came from
See, I've tried, I've really tried
I've prayed, and I've bled and I've cried
I thought I got better in all I did
I improved my writing
I improved my relationship building
Busted my bad habit forming
Achieved all the grades I wanted to
Made friends, lost friends, travelled around
Wrote a mammoth 40-page senior goddamn thesis
Then I applied to my master's program and I got
Waitlisted
And the uphill battle came to a stop
A deafening screech of the wheels
Silence
What now?
Panic
Well, I thought I was smart enough, pretty enough, clever enough, ambitious enough, humble enough, nice enough, strong enough...
For the world, enough isn't enough
What do you do when there is no climax?
When the pleasurable thing you have been expecting ceases to exist
When you apply to 50 jobs and get rejected from all of them
When you buy stale bread to get a discount
When you put so much effort, so much time, so much life, love, anxiety, stress...
Into a climax that never comes
A heaven that is out of reach
A little treat just a bit out of range of your fingertips
Taunting you, teasing you
This future that was never yours
So I stop here, in silence, thinking of what to do next
One day I will have to reach the top, then do some fancy twists and twirls, and then come crashing down
It's simply the law of physics
The question is...when do I move again?
When will I gather the remaining strength I have
To push on, push on, push on



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Pretend

We pretend that we'll live forever That tomorrow will bring something better We pretend we're not made of stars As we roam the streets and bars We pretend we'll never die That our kids won't ever cry Over the loss that is our end Every student, teacher, friend Everyone we've ever known Has a constellation they call home When the moon comes out at night I look to them to see the light To all those who did pretend That their story would never end But on some nights, breezy and clear I see the stars and they feel near I can grasp one and hold it in my hand As it takes me to another land We pretend this earth is all there is to see Yet the stars and crickets have spoken to me We pretend we'll never die Because we truly won't To someone's eye

Miles Away

I refuse to sell my heart, not for twenty-five cents The auction is closed, ladies and gents I’ve already sold my eyes, when they caught sight of the streets So now everyone can see the beauty of my Italian retreat I sold my tongue for gelato, feeling so young Letting the wild berries dance around on my tongue I sold my feet when I traveled to see our Holy Mother in gold Like a saint on a mission, I’ll walk until I get old I sold my ears when I heard beautiful Aida open her lips Echoing through the theatre in which the ancients used to sit But I won’t sell my heart, it is still free For my heart belongs to God and not really to me My heart aches for home, too many miles away Yet for now I am here and I will live for today Yes, I sold my eyes to Italy; it’s all I can see How I wish you were here seeing these treasures with me I’ll try to buy back my sight, taste, and ears too So that I’ll be able to share these memories with you

Why I Think Iron Man is a Jerk

I'm not usually intrigued by superhero action movies, but since I work at the cinema, I can't resist seeing some blockbuster action flicks from time to time, the newest one being Iron Man 3. Although the movies are based on comic books, I still like to do a literary overanalysis of the characters, their flaws, and the hidden messages that they're portraying about our society. Popular media defines society as it is in the moment. For example, back in the post-war days, literature was depressing and scrutinized the advance of the Industrial Revolution and lack of individualism (take into account Virginia Woolf or Sylvia Plath). Now, our society seems to hail the cynical hero- the one who makes snippy remarks, has low moral standards, and consumes himself with one-night stands- the jerk. The greatest example of the cynical jerk superhero is Iron Man. The newest Iron Man movie had a simple, predictable plot line (nerd wants revenge, things get blown up, pretty girl, nerd b...