Skip to main content

The Farthest Thing From Okay


I’d say
That I’m doing okay
If okay means having
A heart led astray
I’m not okay, okay?
Because okay is a term
That describes a full-time
Teacher or office worker
Who is content with life
Who is the past the mid-life blues
Who is actually doing
Okay.

I’d say
I’m not okay because I want to take a piece of sodden cloth and shove it down a rusted pipeline, clog it and watch the thick grey water leak through the edges then rush over the bolts and I want to take a sledgehammer and crack the kitchen sink in two, let the water flood the tiled floor, the cat running for life, the half washed dishes sinking to the bottom, the plastic mugs rising to the top like buoys on a river of madness. Then I want the water to rush through the entire apartment and stain the carpets and seep through the floor so that the neighbours downstairs get disgusting little drops of kitchen water on their heads, and complain to the manager that I should be terminated. I want the whole apartment to be a jumble of paintings with gaping holes cut through the middle (right through the face), with empty cans of iced tea swimming around like scared ducks, with pages of my diary turning into newspaper mush, with all the televisions and computer screens getting electrified and sparkling like little fireworks, giving out a loud pop before their last breath, with all my possessions buried underneath one another like in a time capsule, consumed by the brackish kitchen water that I purposely unleashed- so now the apartment is a clear representation of what is going on in my mind- a hideous, violent torrent of rage that can only be portrayed through metaphor, because

I am so hurt that
I am angry
An anger I have never felt so strong
That it eats at my arteries
Lemon juice on a sting
Worse, hydrogen peroxide in my eyes
Or you know that feeling when you
Have a stray strand of skin sticking out
By your fingernail? (From lack of vitamins or something)
And then you pick at it and rip it fresh
And let the blood gush out and let it just sit there like a red blob
Like the thick custard in a Boston Cream donut
Just a dollop of blood to remind you that
You are so hurt that
You are angry

So if you ask me how I’m doing
I’ll say I’m okay
Due to mere courtesy
When really I’m on the other spectrum
Of anything to do with okayness
And I’m ashamed of too much
And I’m thinking too much
And my mind is a broken kitchen sink so
How can I possibly lie
One more time
And say I’m okay?
With all these thoughts sc a tt e r ed
(Not that it mattered
To anyone asking me if I’m okay)
Okay?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Pretend

We pretend that we'll live forever That tomorrow will bring something better We pretend we're not made of stars As we roam the streets and bars We pretend we'll never die That our kids won't ever cry Over the loss that is our end Every student, teacher, friend Everyone we've ever known Has a constellation they call home When the moon comes out at night I look to them to see the light To all those who did pretend That their story would never end But on some nights, breezy and clear I see the stars and they feel near I can grasp one and hold it in my hand As it takes me to another land We pretend this earth is all there is to see Yet the stars and crickets have spoken to me We pretend we'll never die Because we truly won't To someone's eye

Miles Away

I refuse to sell my heart, not for twenty-five cents The auction is closed, ladies and gents I’ve already sold my eyes, when they caught sight of the streets So now everyone can see the beauty of my Italian retreat I sold my tongue for gelato, feeling so young Letting the wild berries dance around on my tongue I sold my feet when I traveled to see our Holy Mother in gold Like a saint on a mission, I’ll walk until I get old I sold my ears when I heard beautiful Aida open her lips Echoing through the theatre in which the ancients used to sit But I won’t sell my heart, it is still free For my heart belongs to God and not really to me My heart aches for home, too many miles away Yet for now I am here and I will live for today Yes, I sold my eyes to Italy; it’s all I can see How I wish you were here seeing these treasures with me I’ll try to buy back my sight, taste, and ears too So that I’ll be able to share these memories with you

Why I Think Iron Man is a Jerk

I'm not usually intrigued by superhero action movies, but since I work at the cinema, I can't resist seeing some blockbuster action flicks from time to time, the newest one being Iron Man 3. Although the movies are based on comic books, I still like to do a literary overanalysis of the characters, their flaws, and the hidden messages that they're portraying about our society. Popular media defines society as it is in the moment. For example, back in the post-war days, literature was depressing and scrutinized the advance of the Industrial Revolution and lack of individualism (take into account Virginia Woolf or Sylvia Plath). Now, our society seems to hail the cynical hero- the one who makes snippy remarks, has low moral standards, and consumes himself with one-night stands- the jerk. The greatest example of the cynical jerk superhero is Iron Man. The newest Iron Man movie had a simple, predictable plot line (nerd wants revenge, things get blown up, pretty girl, nerd b...