I used to think that there was no thing as reincarnation, or life after death, or going back in time
I used to think that there was just a black oblivion waiting for me
Sometimes, in the middle of the night, I would wake up in a sweat, darkness surrounding me, knowing that this was all I had to look forward to, my existence a speck of star dust
All that changed when I had you
In your eyes, I see my eyes, I see my face, as it was decades ago
Smooth, untouched, happy for no reason other than for being alive
I buy toys and books for you and I remember the joy I got from those toys and books, and still do
I can go on adventures with you and Winnie-the-Pooh once more
I recall the days before my uniqueness was slowly numbed by the school system, corporations, mortgage payments, bills, anxiety, and all those things that make up adult life
So through you, I go back in time
And I relive my childhood once more
You remind me of someone I know, but I don't know who, probably a distant family member from generations ago
You are a perfect mix of all those people who came before us, and you will live on long after I'm gone
And that is how I will live forever
Through you, my love for you will run deep and stretch as long as twisting rivers
Rushing through time and space itself
You'll hold your child's child one day and look up at the moon and think, who does this person remind me of?
And I'll be a glittering star in the sky, reminding you
That I still love you

Comments
Post a Comment